Friday, October 31, 2014

Hope for the Future

Tom Ward instilled a confidence in me I felt I lost 5 months into the program. This confidence was the ability to be creative. Like many other Macers, this one year program has really thrown me off my game with the amount of work I am suppose to do and the amount of information I am suppose to process in such a short period of time. I haven't been able to do what I normally like, which is reading outside of whats assigned in class and being able to just explore different avenues in general. This I feel has become even more important with the fact that I am student teaching and I would love to explore different ideas to use in the classroom. Tom said something however, at the beginning of class that help ease some of that tension in that he was in the same scenario when he was doing this program. When the program was over because he had learned what he had, he felt the need to always strengthen his craft and use different platforms as needed in order to do so. By saying this, Tom assured me that hopefully at the end of this program, I too can use the tools I have learned in it to push my way of thinking and making sure to turn over every rock to do so. Something else Tom showed me was how truly all social media sites in one form of another can help students when trying to explain a concept. While many of the different tech tools that have been presented in class I can see myself using, I really didn't see how both Facebook and Twitter could help in the classroom. Furthermore, because I have a heavy background in social psychology research from undergrad and focused a lot on empathy and narcissism, I was under the impression that these two specific sites with others, were doing a lot more harm than good. Funny enough, Tom showed through the social psychology realm that if one is truly seeing information through the lenses of their students and the background that they are coming from, that you can find tools in the least likely of places. Tom also showed how that not only one subject could dominate the realms of these social networking platforms. If one was to try using these websites in the classroom I figured that one would only do so in the field of humanities, not really giving much thought to stem, outside of just doing a video with whatever material was being covered. Mr. Ward showed, however, with the video of the basketball using geometry, just how wrong I was and even simplified a concept I had been struggling with for my MTTC Professional Readiness exam. He showed how a teacher can incorporate there own strengths (Tom being a coach) with students interest, in order to engage students in higher order thinking. All in all I really enjoyed Tom’s presentation and the aura of confidence that he showed throughout the entirety of the night (even when his presentation wasn’t working correctly in the beginning). I think he is an excellent example of how good a teacher can be with an extremely incredible work ethic and the open mindedness to explore new ideas, all with trying to help better teach different concepts to his students.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Muneer!

    I completely agree with you about feeling off balanced these last several months. In fact, prior to this program I was always organized and able to plan ahead and put a great deal of thought into what I was doing on a regular basis. However, I feel as if I have been living day to day (which I do not like), and I am continually in a state of questioning whether there is something else that I need to be doing. As a result of this, I too feel less creative and unable to pursue things like reading for fun (who has time for that anymore?!), and it leads me to wonder if I will ever be able to return that lifestyle....

    Tom was awesome though! He not only showed that he survived the MAC program, but that he is able to apply what he learned, which has been a worry of mine (as in I worry I won't remember everything and be able to fully utilize it). At the end of the day, Tom's enthusiasm and passion for teaching were inspiring, and I think represent something we can all thrive to model ourselves after.

    Thanks again for your post! It is wonderful hear that there are others feeling the same way you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Muneer!

    I'm so glad to hear that Tom's presentation helped you to feel more at ease! The MAC Program is certainly crazy at times, but it's awesome that you were able to find inspiration in this talk! He had a lot of wonderful insights to share and I enjoyed listening to him too. I love how you noted that Tom demonstrated that the best teachers have the potential to incorporate their interests with their students academics, finding new ways to connect with students and be passionate about their work. When we're finished learning everything the MAC Program has to teach us I am confident that we'll be able to take that knowledge and apply it to our own interests and develop incredible lessons and activities. Stay strong and keep finding inspiration in the little things!

    Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Muneer,
    It has surely been the most hectic times in my life. Tom's presentation is still fresh in my mind. His enthusiasm was indeed viral - an assurance to what lies ahead after this course. One can imagine the charged atmosphere in his classroom and how students might be benefiting. Part is his natural personality and part cultivated. Many students in our cohort seem to possess that kind of a bright personality including yourself :) . And I can see how you all are capable of sprinkling the golden dust of hope and happiness in your classrooms. Although one does not need to to have that kind personality to be effective as a teacher, I feel it certainly helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to say that I'm glad that you found Tom to be inspiring and reassuring as well. All of us on faculty hope and believe that what we're teaching about in the various classes has value, though we know that that value may not come clear until a little ways down the road. Even though we're not making it easy to do so right now ;-) your habit of active engagement with ideas outside of what is "of the moment" is precisely what will make you a fine and engaged teacher, and a role model of a lifelong learner. In other words...keep that stack of books to be read handy.

    ReplyDelete