Technology in my placement has been extremely interesting to
say the least. This has been due to a number of reasons, one is that there
really isn’t any reliable wifi networks within the area to use. We have been
thrown back into 2005 where if I actually wanted to show a simple YouTube clip
I would need to disconnect the Ethernet cord from one computer and put it in to
another that has the video projector.
Besides a video projector that
really doesn’t work as well as it should, there really isn’t any form of
technology in the classroom. Teachers have their own personal computers to take
attendance and such but even those don’t necessarily work as well as they
should. Ironically, teachers are given iPads because they are apart of the
Berkley school district, which I find extremely ridiculous since they don’t
have any internet to do half of the functions on it.
There are about two small media
centers that have about 20 computers each.
Unfortunately many of the programs don’t really work, this has to due with
the fact they both have been abused and not been given updates, some are still
working on the Windows 2000 operating system. Teachers have to reserve the
media center ahead of time since there aren’t any mobile media carts.
What makes this placement even more
interest is while there really isn’t a lot of technology, almost every student
has a form of smartphone that they often use within the class. There is a
policy that they can also use their cellphones within the class which makes matters even more
complicated.
Given all of the complications that
this placement has I am extremely excited to be there and am trying my best to
work with everything given. For example, every time we have had a
presentation showing the different tech tools to use, I always got extremely
annoyed due to the fact that these were items that I thought I could never use in my
classroom. A few weeks in however, I decided to not let the handicaps I had
within my placement stop me of still trying to instill some of these really cool
tools into my classroom. Instead I just need to be really creative, and I did.
I used the tech tool padlet for my 3 day teach and while I faced some problems using it, I thought it was highly successful. What I did was that I had it all preloaded before I came into class, that way I just had to use the video projector to show the presentation to the rest of the students. I was even able to show them a few videos because those were preloaded as well. I think this really gave me the boost I needed to realize that while I cant choose the level of technology I have in my classroom, I do have the choice of whether or not to have these inconveniences stop me from actually trying to be as innovative as I can.
I used the tech tool padlet for my 3 day teach and while I faced some problems using it, I thought it was highly successful. What I did was that I had it all preloaded before I came into class, that way I just had to use the video projector to show the presentation to the rest of the students. I was even able to show them a few videos because those were preloaded as well. I think this really gave me the boost I needed to realize that while I cant choose the level of technology I have in my classroom, I do have the choice of whether or not to have these inconveniences stop me from actually trying to be as innovative as I can.
Checkout the padlets
http://padlet.com/mnrkhalid1/it62thwy3jmd
http://padlet.com/mnrkhalid1/bgw2un1tzubz
I'm so sorry to hear about the challenges of using technology in your placement, but I understand. In my placement, we have similar challenges: while there are some really great tools that some of the teachers are able to incorporate into their classrooms, it is difficult when we have computers that take forever to boot up. Updates to the systems made it difficult for students to use Excel to generate graphs for their lab reports today. You're not alone.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to see those sample Padlets, Muneer, and to also see that you're imagining some possible ways to leverage technology even if your tech infrastructure makes this complicated. I also think about Liz Kolb's arguments regarding mobile technology, and her reminder to us that we should be thinking about how to make thoughtful use of THAT technology.
ReplyDelete